Sunday, November 24, 2013

C4T #4

C4T Summary #1
Reflections of a High School Math Teacher

For my C4T this week, I had a teacher named David Sladkey. His blog, Reflections of a High School Math Teacher, is a record of his experiences thus far. In the post, "Have Students Teach The Class: The Student Engagement Wheel," He explains that if the students learn the material and know it well enough to teach it to their peers, they adequately understand the material. Something I found very interesting was a tool he uses to measure his students' engagement in the class. The Engagement Wheel, I believe is a very creative idea that can prove to be very beneficial to teachers when trying to decide the level of participation of a student in the classroom.

Engagement Wheel
C4T Comment #1

Hello, my name is Carla Young. I am a student in the EDM310 class (http://edm310.blogspot.com) at the University of South Alabama. I am going to be stopping by your blog over the next couple of weeks and posting a summary of what I have read on my blog http://youngcarlaedm.blogspot.com. I will of course give all credit to you and post the link to your blog. I really liked the engagement wheel idea you had! I think that is a good tool to measure your students' engagement. I agree with the point you made about the students knowing the material and using it. If they are able to teach the material to their peers, they have gained an understanding of the material fully.

C4T Summary #2
"Helping our Math students through Exercise"

For my last C4T summary, I read an interesting post about how exercise and PE classes can help students in the classroom and improve their scores in Math. David Sladkey posted videos by Paul Zientarski, a retired PE teacher from Naperville Central High School, who spoke about subjects such as "why do kids do better in school after exercise,"What a student should do BEFORE their standardized test," and "A program that has PE directly before Math and English classes: LRP." LRP is the Learning Readiness P.E. Program. This is a program that has students participate in a P.E. class and engage in physical activity before going to their core classes such as Math and English. I have included one of the videos by Paul Zientarski that David Sladkey posted on his blog.



C4T Comment #2

Hello my name is Carla Young. I am a student in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama. I have commented on your blog before and have found your post very interesting. This I found particularly interesting, because I am planning on teaching Math as well. I think it is a great idea to have the students have a P.E. class before their core classes. This can allow them to let out some of the energy they have built up from the day. I know when i was in Middle School and High School we had P.E. at the very end of the day. So, we were in the classroom all day and did not get up and get to move around to let out some of the energy we had built up. I look forward to checking back in and reading more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment