Sunday, October 13, 2013

C4T #2

C4T Summary #1
Graphing Quadratic Functions Mini Book Freebie

My C4T was on a teacher by the name of Andrea Kerr. She is a Middle School Math teacher in Oklahoma. Her blog For The Love Of Teaching, has some very creative ways to incorporate PBL into your lesson plans. In the first post I read on Ms. Kerr's blog, she talked about how her class was learning to graph Quadratic Functions. Instead of getting out their books and looking at examples of problems, she set her class up into stations. In the stations, there were glue sticks, scissors, and papers with printed lines on them for the students to make a "minibook."

classroom

After the students had their minibooks together, they went around to each of the different stations, which all had a different problem at it. When they answered the problem they glued it in one of the pages of their minibook. This creates a good study guide for the students to use, and also gets them up and moving around. Which, has to beat sitting in a desk all day! Ms. Kerr also included pictures and a video to demonstrate how to make the minibooks and to set up the stations. She calls her video the "Back To School Foldable Freebie."



C4T Comment #1

Hello, my name is Carla Young. I am a student in the EDM310 (EDM310) class at the University of South Alabama. I am learning how to use technology in the classroom, and how to incorporate it into my lesson plans. I will be writing a summary of what I read on your blog and posting it on my blog. I will of course give full credit to you and include the link to your blog. I am also planning on teaching Middle School Math. I love all the ideas you have posted on here. You are very creative! I have been wondering how I will incorporate projects into my lesson plans in the future, and your posts have inspired me. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

C4T Summary #2
Factoring Trinomials Whole Group Practice

In this post, Ms. Kerr is teaching her students to solve Quadratics by factoring. She says in her blog that she is taking it slow teaching this to her students and starting with one thing at a time. Instead of just having the students take notes and practice some problems from the book, she made her lesson like a riddle. This was a good way to catch the students attention, and also to help them remember what she was telling them; they will keep hearing the riddle in their head. Ms. Kerr included a link in the post for a "freebie" page of problems for teachers to pass out to their class.

C4T Summary #2

Hello, my name is Carla Young. I am a student in the EDM310 class at the University of South Alabama. I have been checking in and reading your posts and I love all the creative ideas you come up with for activities to incorporate into your lessons. It sounds like your class has a lot of fun with Math! I look forward to checking back in regularly and seeing what else your classroom is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment